Tuesday 4 March 2008

More from Liz Berg's class

Am catching up fast with this class, discovering design concepts I didn't know existed, and producing lots of small pieces (mainly paper but the most recent ones have een fabric). I'm also gaining confidence and learning to work more playfully. Here are a few more pieces:




I like this one a lot - not my usual colours but the brief was pale with low-key contrast and I surprised myself. (The papers I used are oil-marbled, done ages ago)


This is a more familiar colour-combination for me (paper painted with brusho on plain sugar=paper), as is the next piece:


The next set of pieces are about contrasts. Firstly a contrast in scale, which is not something I've considered a lot in the past

More marbled paper - hmm, maybe I need to marble some more fabrics to play with too. On to colour contrast (the greens are from magazine pages):




And then to texture: luckily I had some textured paper left over from my City & Guilds days; now I need to create some more (I intend to go over the exercises a number of times as some ideas still do not come naturally to me): marbled paper, gel medium and silver paint, plus angelina for the moon:



And the last in this group is a contrast of shapes (I chose straight and wiggly - a bit obvious but it sort of works, even if it does look a bit like snakes crawling over logs:



And finally a stitched piece - the brief was to produce a small stitched piece using contrast: in this case I used a colour contrast:


I have some reservations about this one - I need to live with it for a little while before I quilt and finish it, and I may need to modify it. I'm hoping by the end of this class I will be able to see more easily how I can change things to improve the design of a piece. Liz is expert at this, but I'd also welcome comments from blog readers.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think it need to take this class. I've seen several people psot their progress and it looks like there is a wealth of information in this one!

mzjohansen said...

Looks like a great class Sandra !I might have to save up for this one!
Fabulous looking samples too - and I really like the last one !

verobirdie said...

Beautiful samples, really. And the feeling when you are gaining self-confidence and realizing you can do much more than you thought possible. Enjoy it!

verobirdie said...

Beautiful samples, really. And the feeling when you are gaining self-confidence and realizing you can do much more than you thought possible. Enjoy it!

Unknown said...

Sandrea, these are are fabulous andso interesting, my favrourites being the marbled ones! I love the soft pale hues, it is so flattering to the eyes.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog(and Oscar:), and have a wonderful week!
Andrea

margaret said...

Your observation about doing some exercises again "because some ideas still don't come naturally to me" sticks in my mind. This looks like a very worthwhile class!