Sunday 3 April 2011

Digging for Bait

Made for the Hannah's Room Beautiful Batiks Challenge, this will be at Uttoxeter Racecourse (Quilts in the Garden) from 15th to 17th April.  Based on a photograph taken by my late husband in Whitby some years ago:


Admittedly not my usual style which is probably why I found it so much fun to do (once I got round to it, after much agonising - however the agonising was productive, as it went together like a dream in the end.  Quite a challenge for me too in using the commercially-produced fabrics, having to work with colours already there, rather than dyeing the ones I really wanted: learnt a lot this way!  And I love the way the patterns echo the fossils that you find in this part of Whitby!

Techniques are straightforward - curved piecing, improvised as I went (but only after trying out various ideas in paint and cut paper which is probably what made it so easy in the end), with the figure cut from a fabric also made from curved strip-piecing.  Then overloaded with a variety of free-motion quilted patterns for the backgound, with drawn lines (quilted drawn lines that is) suggesting the figure.  Enormous fun to do!

10 comments:

peneller said...

Sandra this is really lovely. Can't wait to see it in the flesh so to speak!
Penny

Linda B. said...

Love the way you've caught the light!

Anonymous said...

Love this, can't wait to hang it next week!

magsramsay said...

Fabulous! Lovely colour , light and sense of place.

Julie said...

I hope I get to see this piece in the flesh sometime Sandra it's wonderful! And I've just read that you got second prize for it at Uttoxeter for it so congratulations!

Guess what?! I've just been offered a place at Summer School! Yay!!!!! See you there :-)

Sharne Gregory said...

Congratulations! Your quilt deserved to be placed.

Mandy said...

This is a lovely quilt, Sandra. I do like the colours you have used. Thanks for showing the original photograph too.

Joyce said...

I think I saw this at the Festical of Quilts yest????
Lovely quilt and the photo absolutely beautiful.
Best
Joyce

Galeri Tenun Troso Jepara said...

well, I'll take a vacation
I like this information

Bossymamma said...

I saw this piece at Harrogate yesterday with friends who both thought it absolutely beautiful.